Pages

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

D&C 6:4-5 - If one speaks by the Holy Ghost, they will speak the mind of God.

Hey family!
   I love being able to be a tool in the hand of the Lord. This week I really focused on following all promptings from the Lord.  Of course I couldn´t follow all because I´m human and have my weaknesses but I want to share two spiritual experiences I had this week. Here´s the first one:
1.  In Chile there are many inactive members of the church.  Our main focus each day is passing by these members and trying to reactivate them while at the same time trying to find new investigators.  We do this by talking to all we see on the street, by asking the inactive members if they know anyone who would benefit from a message about Jesus Christ and happiness, or if the member isn´t home we will ¨yell¨ at the houses touching theirs.  One day this week we were doing our usual work of contacting inactives and we had a whole schedule of who to contact.  We had just finished working in one area of our sector and were about to continue on to another according to our agenda when a thought came into my mind to go visit a certain hermano in the ward.  We looked in the directory for his address and started heading to his house.  While we were walking, I saw a man walking our way.  He didn´t make any gesture to talk to us, but my body acted without my mind and my hand shot out to shake his.  Without even thinking.  Of my companion and me, I was the furthest away from this man. I cut off my companion to get to this man. Without even realizing I was doing it.  I started talking to him and asking him the usual questions than can spark a discussion about the Gospel.  He told me that he was a member of the church, but hadn´t gone to church for a long time.  He also said that I had been directed by the Spirit to talk to him.  He has been dealing with depression the past couple of weeks and has needed help but hasn´t known where to turn. He said that he would not have stopped us, but would have kept walking if I hadn´t stopped him.  If the Spirit wouldn´t have moved my body for me. When he told me his name, I realized that he was an inactive member that we had been looking for for the past 6 weeks but had never been home. The Spirit knew who this man was.  What he needed and when he needed it. We set up an appointment with him and continued on our way.  When we got to the member´s house, we realized that it was the wrong address. We also realized that it said this on the directory and we had neglected to see it.  And I ALSO realized that I knew exactly where this man lived.  If we had seen the little message on the directory or if I had remembered where he lived, we would have never run into this inactive.  The Lord guided us.  He made me forget where the member lived. He caused us to not see the little message written in the directory. I was able to be a tool in His hands in order to talk to one of His sons who had fallen away from His church.  He is aware of every single one of us.  We should never forget this.  Never let our own thought cloud over this wonderful truth that everyone needs to know.  There is no better work that anyone can do on the earth other than missionary work.
2.  Don´t worry, this experience is a bit shorter.  We have been teaching a 12 year old for the past 3 weeks. His mom is an inactive but she wants him to be baptized and he wants to be baptized but he won´t decide on a date.  He knows he needs to but he says that he feels unprepared. This past week we were talking to him about his baptism and he told us that he wants to wait till next year to be baptized.  He didn´t have any reason why. Or wouldn´t tell us.  At this moment, the Spirit prompted me to take him to the chapel.  We were a good 5 minute walk away from the chapel, but I didn´t want to deny this prompting.  I stopped the conversation that was happening and straight up asked if we could go take a tour of the chapel.  He has never been to church even though we´ve invited him every week.  He got permission from his mom and we left. I could tell that he wasn´t very excited to go, so I started talking to him about video games.  Something to light up the mood when we walked over. When we got there, he was a lot happier than when we left his house due to the video game chat.  Who knows, this could have been a prompting from the Spirit to. Anyways, we showed him the sacrament room, the classrooms, and the paintings on the wall.  We ended with the baptismal font.  I told him that he would be baptized in this font.  Then I had him read Mosiah 4:10. It says something along the lines of if you know these things are true than do them.  After he read that, we stood there for a good 20 seconds in silence.  He was staring at font the entire time. I then asked him how he felt and he said ¨bacán¨which means awesome.  I asked him how he felt about baptism and he said that he wanted to be baptized this month. What an amazing sentence that was!! We offered a pray of thanks to Heavenly Father and left.  He will have to wait till next month to be baptized because of a sickness his mom has and a vacation he is going on at the end of the month, but he is stoked for baptism. I am again thankful for the Lord guiding me during that experience. 
   Well that´s all for this week. Marsh and Rach, today I got you package from the 17th of November. THANKS!!!!! I hope everyone is enjoying the cold air.  It´s beginning to look a lot like summer here. HAHAHA But seriously. It´s hooot. 
   I love and pray for all of you.
   Elder Weidman

No comments:

Post a Comment